Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association
You are here
PRA offers training and continuing education opportunities through the Academy of Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Recovery, your trusted source of vetted, important information, comprised of programs in the areas of psychiatric rehabilitation, as well as leadership and management. To grow and train the recovery workforce, the Academy provides whole lifelong career learning in Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Wellness, Resiliency & Recovery.
The Academy in-person programs, certificate programs, online courses and webinars, are designed for CEOs, senior and mid-level staff, those new to psychiatric rehabilitation, and future leaders – offered at levels to match your knowledge and experience. The Academy faculty are leading experts in psychiatric rehabilitation to ensure the recovery workforce receives quality training and education through a combination of positive learning experiences and exceptional content.
The Academy offers training and education in three (3) areas:
- Whole Career Practitioner Training & Continuing Education
- Whole Career Leadership Training & Development
- Special Topics & Electives in Recovery
With a learner centered philosophy, the Academy has standardized instructional design to strengthen learning, practice, and build consistency regardless of who from the faculty is presenting. PRA works to collaborate with like-minded groups and academic institutions as well as people in recovery and peer support specialists to achieve overall training goals.
Meet the Co-Chairs of the Academy of Academy of Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Recovery; Veronica Carey, PhD, CPRP and Lisa Razzano, PhD, CPRP
Veronica Carey, PhD, CPRP, began her service as Academy Chair, working in concert with PRA’s global headquarters staff and volunteer leaders on an aggressive plan to deliver a portfolio of skills training, continuing education and leadership enhancement opportunities to practitioners, managers and executives involved in psychiatric rehabilitation. Dr. Carey retains her continuing role as Assistant Clinical Professor with Drexel University while also participating on PRA’s Certification Commission for Psychiatric Rehabilitation.
Lisa Razzano, PhD, CPRP, Lisa is a tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and has worked in mental health services research and training for more than two decades. She also serves as Director of Graduate Education at the UIC College of Medicine, providing oversight for the James Scholar Program for advanced medical student researchers. Lisa is a recognized expert on mental health services research and psychiatric rehabilitation, having lead funded projects exploring co-occurring psychiatric disabilities and physical health, vocational rehabilitation and employment, the mental health aspects of HIV/AIDS and treatment adherence, and special topics, including adaptations to evidence-based practices and transforming medical education.
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA): The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB): PRA (ACE Approval Number 1170) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. PRA maintains responsibility for the program. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits.
- Certification of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioners (CPRP): All courses offered meet the continuing education requirements for the Certification of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioners. If you are not yet a CPRP but plan to apply for the certification, sessions attended through the Academy can be used to meet your education requirements. Please request a CPRP certificate to ensure PRA has record of your training. Please note that the Children's Certificate Series does not apply to the training hours required for CPRP exam application or CPRP re-certification.
- Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC): PRA is pre-approved for continuing education with the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
- National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC): PRA is an Approved Education Provider for alcohol and drug abuse counselors through the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors.
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC): PRA is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. We are happy to provide NBCC approved continuing education to professional counselors who are NCCs, LPCs, LNHCs, LCPCs, as well as other state credentialed counselor titles.
PRA maintains sole responsibility for the development of content. Continuing Educational approval does not imply that the above approval boards endorse the specific course content.
Questions about the Academy for Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Recovery? Please contact PRA at 703-442-2078.