Frequently Asked Questions for Idaho Practitioners

For Idaho practitioners, here’s your answers to the questions you have about the Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner (CPRP).

You are here


OUTPATIENT BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES: PROVIDER QUALIFICATIONS. The IBHP services are delivered by network providers who are enrolled with the contractor and meet reimbursement, quality, and utilization standards. All community-based outpatient behavioral health service providers are subject to the limitations of practice imposed by state law, federal regulations, and by the various state boards that regulate professional competency requirements, and in accordance with applicable Department rules. The contractor will enter into agreements with enrolled providers to provide the services under the IBHP.

3.3. Staff Training and Development

Rationale: When working with Idaho’s vulnerable populations, it is expected that highly qualified personnel with the necessary education, experience and credentials are employed to ensure positive outcomes and an improved quality of life for all participants. Practitioners who work with persons with mental illness to improve their functioning and gain valued roles in their communities should be aware of the essentials of the rehabilitation process, its program models and the principles underlying its practice. 

3.3.1.   Practitioners of CBRS are appropriately licensed or credentialed by Psychosocial Rehabilitation Association (PRA).

3.3.2.   CBRS Specialists, not otherwise professionally licensed, have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and a current PRA credential or certificate based upon the primary population being worked with, adults or children.  The CPRP (adults) and CFRP (children) are designated by PRA as the qualifying credential/certifications to provide CBRS services.      Practitioners who work primarily with adults, age eighteen or older, are Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioners (CPRP) as designated by the PRA.      Practitioners who work primarily with children, under the age of 18, hold a certificate in children’s psychiatric rehabilitation as designated by the PRA. PRA no longer recognizes the Children's Certificate in Psychiatric Rehabilitation, as the workshops took place several years ago.  The Child and Family Resiliency Pracitioner (CFRP) credential is now the only designation recognized by PRA in order for CBRS Practitioners to provide services to children. PRA has worked with Optum Idaho to provide accelerated eligibility pathways for participants to transition to the CFRP, which will be available until 12/31/2020, after which the Children's Certificate will not be applicable to training and education requirements.

3.3.3.   Practitioners of CBRS have an understanding of the principles of recovery and resiliency oriented rehabilitation and are able to demonstrate competencies in CBRS principles, values and practice.

3.3.4.   Practitioners of CBRS demonstrate adequate skills, as well as discipline specific knowledge (i.e. adult vs. youth practice)

3.3.5.   CBRS practitioners complete 20 hours per year in continuing education in areas directly relevant to CBRS.


Is licensure required to practice psychiatric/psychosocial rehabilitation?
The Idaho Behavioral Health Plan, Behavioral Health Standards, Medicaid, and the Managed Care Organization (MCO) have defined the scope of CBRS services and provider qualifications within the state. According to item 3.3.1-2 above, CBRS service providers are required to obtain the CPRP or CFRP, depending on the population they primarily serve.  Regardless of what descriptive title is used by a state agency, if an occupation has a defined scope of practice and only individuals authorized by the state can perform those functions and activities, the authorized individuals are licensed. It does not matter if the authorization is called something other than a license; the authorization has the legal effect of a license. 

How are grievances handled?
In states which require licensure, complaints are typically filed with the state. If the state incorporates a national credential, complaints should be filed with the state, with the Managed Care Organization (MCO), and with the certifying body. Often a complaint will result in revocation of the license but, unless a formal complaint is filed with the certifying body, it would not result in revocation of the national credential. Filing a complaint solely with the state or with the states MCO frequently permits the practitioner to acquire employment in another state through his national credential

How does PRA handle grievances against CPRPs/CFRPs?.
Any complaints alleging violation of the Code of Ethics is reviewed by an Ethics Review Panel of the Certification Commission for Psychiatric Rehabilitation.

Community Based Rehabilitation Service providers who participate in the CPRP and/or CFRP Certification Program are required to sign and agree to uphold the PRA Code of Ethics.

Complaints may be made by people receiving services from the Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner (CPRP), the Certified Family and Resiliency Practitioner (CFRP), by colleagues of the Practitioner, and by other interested parties, by emailing When a complaint is made, the CPRP/CFRP will be immediately notified and asked to respond to the complaint in writing. The practitioner will have 30 days to prepare a response and submit it to the Ethics Review Panel. Members of the Ethics Review Panel will have 30 days to review the complaint, and to request additional information from either party. PRA maintains a database of all CPRP and CFRP certified practitioners. Certification can be verified by contacting the PRA office or by emailing certs@psychrehabassociation.orgShould a certificate be found by the State of Idaho and/or the MCO to not meet the standards for providing Community Based Rehabilitation Services to adults or children enrolled in the Idaho Behavioral Health Plan, PRA will make note of this decision on the published list. 

Can a practitioner appeal the decision of the Ethics Review Committee?
The Commission provides due process to applicants and certificates affected by adverse decisions of the Ethics Review Committee. Appeal of suspension or revocation of the credential by an Ethics Review Panel will be heard by an ad-hoc Appeal Review Panel of the Certification Commission. The accused shall retain the credential during the appeal process, and shall meet all requirements for renewal of the credential as they come due in order to preserve his/her standing for appeal. All decisions of the Appeal Review Panel are final and binding.

Why does PRA offer the CPRP and the CFRP?

Although there is evidence of “cross-over” between the principles of psychiatric rehabilitation defined for children and those for adults, there is significant enough difference in the necessary knowledge base and skill set of practitioners working within these individualized areas that it warrants clear distinction.

In the case of an adult, it is the role of the CPRP to provide guidance to their client in the areas where the client has decided. The programs and services utilized are strictly client-directed, enabling that individual to achieve successful and satisfying lives in the working, learning, and social environments of their choice. In the case of children, services provided are client-centered, focusing not only on what the child wants, but what the child needs to function in his or her natural community (family, school, activities, etc.). 

 Which program is right for me?
Practitioners are required to select the most appropriate program based upon the population with whom the practitioner primarily works. For further descriptions of CBRS services, Idaho Medicaid In-network providers can reference the Optum Idaho Clinical Model, Provider Manual, and Optum Idaho’s Level of Care Guidelines listed on Optum Idaho’s website.  In network providers can also contact Optum Idaho directly through the Provider Line at 1-855-202-0983 to obtain additional assistance.

What course work is required for the CPRP?
When considering a training course, the applicant is responsible for making sure it addresses at least one of the topic areas in the . Related topics such as infection control, dealing with medical complications, etc., are also acceptable if presented in the context of psychiatric rehabilitation practice. It is the responsibility of the applicant to identify the topic area within those topics listed on the PRA Blueprint that each documented training covers.CPRP Exam Blueprint

Unlike Idaho Medicaid (which requires increments of training to occur beginning no later than ninety (90) days after the first day of employment cumulating to a total of 60 contact/classroom hours over a thirty (30) month period), PRA requires a total of 45 contact/classroom hours across three years in order to sit for the CPRP exam and an additional 45 contact/classroom hours every three-years to maintain the CPRP credential. Training can be acquired through multiple sources. In fact, PRA recommends that practitioners acquire their 45 contact hours through various sources, including course work at a local college, trainings offered by PRA and the Idaho chapter, and/or agency in-house training. Relevant online training courses can also apply. What is important is that the training covers at least one topic area within the CPRP Exam Blueprint.

Courses do not need to be taught by a CPRP; however, the instructor does need to be a subject matter expert and formally trained/educated in the topic they are teaching. The CPRP application and recertification application do not require that you attach certificates of attendance; however, if your application is selected for random audit, you will be required to provide evidence of attendance or course completion. approved for application for the CPRP.notPRA maintains a list of training topics that are

What course work is required for the CFRP?
There is a CFRP Exam Blueprint, which outlines the practice domains and identifies how each is weighted on the exam. There is also a list of recommended reading identified on the PRA website. Applicants are encouraged to identify training opportunities that align with the practice domains. PRA maintains a list of training topics that are not approved for application for the CFRP. (Same with the CPRP).

If I obtain the CPRP credential but also work with children, how can I ensure I’m appropriately trained for both populations?
In the case where an unlicensed, bachelors level prepared CBRS staff is to obtain certification, they have 30 months to do so per the IBHP and MCO standards.  The CPRP and CFRP each require 45 hours of training (within the past three years). At this time, PRA recommends practitioners serving both populations to be dual-certified; with state regulations moving in this direction, it is highly advantageous for you to become a CFRP right away.  All practitioners working with children are required by Idaho Medicaid to, if not otherwise professionally licensed, obtain the CFRP credential.

What sort of training should I take to prepare for the CPRP?

Prospective CPRP's should complete the required 45 hours in trainings addressing “the treatment and/or rehabilitation of adults with serious mental illness,” as defined in CPRP Eligibility Requirements, then complete 15 hours in courses in topics specific to the Core Principles & Values for Working with Children and their Families

If I obtain a CFRP and work primarily with children can I also work with adults when the occasion arises?  PRA recommends that practitioners become dual-certified if working with both populations.